Making this dish is so easy, and it requires only 5 ingredients (one of them salt). It’s both savory and rich, but watch out for the turmeric—it stains everything it touches.
I have made this for many a guest, and they often ask for the recipe or if I would make it again next time they come for dinner.
What you’ll need
- 4-6 Thai chilies, cut and crushed, (careful, they’re hot!)
- 1.5-2 lbs. cut up chicken thighs
- 2.5- to 3-inch piece of Turmeric (available at most Asian or Indian grocery stores)
- About 16 oz of good quality coconut milk
What to do:
- Crush the chilies with a pestle/mortar if you have one.
- Peel the turmeric with a vegetable peeler and cut it up.
- Add the turmeric to the chilies and mash them all together with some salt and 1T of cold water.
- Set wok or heavy pan on medium/high heat and sauté the crushed ingredients.
- Add the chicken and coconut milk, stir and reduce heat to a simmer. Leave uncovered.
- Let simmer until no coconut milk remains in liquid form, and instead has formed a thick sauce/paste. This can take a long time, depending on the amount of heat.
- Serve with rice
Leave a Reply