Here’s summer recipe from True Thai by Hong Thaimee. The magic of this dish is the sweetness of the mango and crab offset by the Spicy Lime and Chili Sauce. Oh, and aside from the ingredient prep, it takes less than 5 minutes to make.
In a stark admission, I used fake crab meat (surimi) for this recipe, as finding a reasonably-priced amount of real crabmeat was fruitless. None of the Asian markets had canned crabmeat, and I didn’t feel like spending $30 for a small crab for this dish. So, I went for the surimi. Crab it is certainly not, but the dish still tasted good!
Note that the Spicy Lime and Chili sauce is crazy-good, and can be added to vegetables and other boring foods to liven up their flavor.
What you’ll need for the Spicy Lime and Chile Sauce:
- 2T chopped fresh red Thai chilis (use fewer for less heat or remove the seeds)
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup palm sugar, shaved and not all in a block
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 1 cup lime juice
What to do for the sauce:
Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until the sugar is dissolved and all ingredients are well mixed.
What you’ll need for the salad:
- 1 or 2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup lump crab meat (I also wonder if small cooked shrimp wouldn’t work, too)
- 2T shallots, thinly sliced
- 2T cilantro, finely chopped
- 0.5 cups Spicy Lime and Chili Sauce
- 2T chopped coconut meat (optional)
- 2T toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1-2T toasted and coarsely chopped cashews or peanuts
What to do for the salad:
Toss all the ingredients—except the toasted coconut flakes and the nuts—in a large bowl, ensuring that the ingredients are evenly distributed. Top with the coconut and nuts and serve.
Leave a Reply