This carbonara recipe may even be better than the version I had made in August. It’s easier to eat and a bit more flavorful!
What you’ll need to serve 4 people:
- 1-2T olive oil
- 4 oz pancetta or bacon cut up into small peices
- 1 shallot—chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves—chopped finely
- 4 egg yolks (large)
- 1 egg (large)
- 3 oz hard Italian cheese (for example Parmesan)
- 2t ground pepper
- 12 oz strozzapreti (we use fusilli paesani, which is very chewy and takes 15-17 minutes to cook—see photos)
Here are a couple of shots of the fusilli paesani, for your reference:
What to do:
- Heat oil and cook the bacon in a skillet until it is just beginning to turn crispy.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the pan and cook until softened.
- Transfer these three ingredients to a bowl, for later.
- After it cools a bit, add the egg, yolks, cheese and pepper.
- Cook pasta to the desired consistency in salted water.
- Drain, but reserve ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Put in your skillet, along with the pasta water over low heat.
- Add the egg/bacon/shallot mixture to the skillet and gently cook, stirring often.
- Gently cook until sauce is done and covers all the pasta.