This taco salad is super-easy to make, easy on the budget, and the whole family will enjoy it. Now, there are many versions of this, but I made mine healthy and flavorful.
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb 85/15 ground beef (fattier and you’ll need to get rid of the rendered fat)
- 1 package of taco seasoning (you can make this yourself, recipe below)
- 1 14-oz can of refried beans that you like (or you can make them yourself)
- Shredded cheese (preferably Mexican) to taste
- 1 medium tomato cut into pieces
- 1 ripe avocado cut into pieces
- Shredded lettuce (to taste)
- Taco chips
- A few leaves of cilantro
Here’s a seasoning mix I found at smells-like-home.com. I used 2-3 tablespoons per batch of meat.
- ¼ cup ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- campaignIcon Coupons
- ½ to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
What to do:
- Sauté ground beef in large skillet until nearly done. Add taco seasoning and 1/3-cup of water, mix in spices and slowly cook off the liquid.
- Meanwhile, slowly heat the refried beans and cut up/shred your vegetables.
- When the meat is done, assemble the salad in a bowl:
- Add flavored meat to the bottom of the bowl
- Add refried beans on top of the meat
- Working quickly, encircle the meat/beans with chips
- Sprinkle cheese on the refried beans (it will quickly begin to melt)
- Cover with shredded lettuce, tomato, avocado and cilantro leaves
- If you wish, you could also add sour cream and taco sauce
Start eating before the chips begin to get soggy. Enjoy!